Re: Issues tangential to win32 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Issues tangential to win32 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 02:33, Dann Corbit wrote:

> It took a few hundred man hours to do it.

About 2-8 weeks for one full time programmer ?

> I see the whole Win32 port as
> a non issue.  Several parties have already completed it (including the
> place where I work -- CONNX Solutions Inc.).  If we did not do it or all
> parties who already did it were hit by a comet or something, someone
> else would accomplish it.  It isn't trivial but it isn't impossible
> either.  If a need is large enough, someone will manage it.  The need is
> large enough.  Ergo...

Do you know which of these run ((reasonably) well) on win9x ?

> Here are some other things related:
>
> A ready to go Win32 PosgreSQL package:
> http://www.dbexperts.net/postgresql

Perhaps we should back up and let dbexperts et.al. recover their costs
and after that repent and commit changes back to main tree ;)

## insert a little ad-hominem attack to everyone objecting a native
## win32 port as owning stock in some win32-pg-selling company

BTW, do they have an evaluation version or do they think that people
would in that case evaluate on win32 and then buy a cheap linux box for
$495.- :)

Hannu