Re: BLOB performance test FYI - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Joe,

Yes, I tend to agree with your assessment, and would like to see the
default to be lo instead, or we need to some how warn people of this

Dave
On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 17:35, Joe Shevland wrote:
> Well, isn't it a bit crazy that bytea is the default JDBC BLOB type given the performance issues shown?
>
> The general public that start to pump binary data into a PostgreSQL database are going to be confused if performance
isthat bad... and that was a grunty server too with bulkloads of RAM, I shudder to think what'd happen to a client.

> I mean, generally if you're storing binary data it is for things such as image or document storage (of course there's
many,many other purposes), so the binary data wil be large.