Re: [PERFORMANCE] work_mem vs temp files issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORMANCE] work_mem vs temp files issue
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jaime Casanova <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> writes:
> why we don't show some of that info in explain?

Lack of round tuits; plus concern about breaking programs that read
EXPLAIN output, which I guess will be alleviated in 8.5.

> the reason i say "most of the temp files" is that when i removed
> #ifdef HJDEBUG it says that in total i was using 10 batchs but there
> were 14 temp files created (i guess we use 1 file per batch, no?)

Two files per batch, in general --- I suppose some of the buckets
were empty.

            regards, tom lane