Re: Current enums patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Current enums patch
Date
Re: Current enums patch
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is there a specific reason for
>> pg_enum.enumname to be type name and not type text?

> IIRC at one stage Tom wanted to try to make these identifiers, but that
> was quickly abandoned. This might be a hangover from that.

Actually I think I see the reason: it's a bit of a pain in the neck to
use the syscache mechanism with text-type lookup keys.  I'm not 100%
convinced that we really need to have syscaches on pg_enum, but if those
stay then it's probably not worth the trouble to avoid the limitation.

            regards, tom lane