Re: comparision chart - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mark kirkwood
Subject Re: comparision chart
Date
List pgsql-sql
Previously...

> Regarding your rating of Postgres, what do you mean by "partial"
>  support of constraints?  And what is "hotBack"?

The confusing terms probably my fault - (Someone probably saw an old
posting of mine) - apologies in the time travelled sense...

I think partial constraint meant that there was "create" but no
"alter/drop/disable/enable" for them (This was circa Pg 7.0.0).

And I seem to recall thinking about a hotbackup in the sense of :
i) able to back up the db while it is running (and)
ii) able to use use the transaction logs to "catch up" after a media
failure (assuming the logs are backed up somehow too)

Clearly most of the crowd can do i), but fewer do ii) - mainly the
commercial ones.

I am less sure these days the ii) is so important. Many folks seem to
manage by means of using i) combined with replication or fault tolerance
at the os or hardware level (but I am ranging off the topic here...)

best wishes for the chart

regards

Mark