Re: SQL: Are the "" around table & coloumnames necessary? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: SQL: Are the "" around table & coloumnames necessary?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 12:43, Mikey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I  write a select for example,
> it doesn't work this way:
>
>    select col1, col2
>       from my_table;
>
> instead of that I have to write
>
>    select "col1", "col2"
>       from "my_table";
>
> I dont understand this...is there a way to use
> the more comfortable form without "" ?

The two queries you show are identical.  However, if any of the column
names contain upper-case characters and were enclosed in double-quotes
when the table was created, you will get the behaviour you are
complaining about, because all unquoted identifiers are folded to
lower-case before the query is executed.

The solution is not to use upper-case characters in identifiers.
If you already have tables with upper-case names, drop them and recreate
them (or do pg_dumpall, edit the dump file and reload the database).

    "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they      follow me; And I give unto them eternal life; and they
shallnever perish, neither shall any man pluck them      out of my hand."          John 10:27,28