Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Self
Subject Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 15:43, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I don't know what network problems you were refering to, but postgres should
> work fine unless you have very little bandwidth. For how much data are these
> applications asking? Usually my applications only ask for small amounts of
> data from a larger data set. After all, 15 users against a 50MB database
> doesn't sound like heavy load from a networking standpoint or a hardware
> standpoint.
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff

You haven't used Access, have you? 15 users on Access is playing with
fire. I created a system several years ago for tracking costs for FEMA
reimbursement. We put it on Access because I didn't have much time to
develop it and there would be no more than five users of it. It turned
out that we had over 30 users wanting to enter data after a hurricane
blew through town. Once we got over 10 users on it at once, it basically
came to a stop. I had to come up with a schedule for the users to add
their data. I wouldn't allow more than 5 users at a time.

Access is a pretty good little database for a single user or a small
group but thats it.

Jeff

--
Jeff Self