Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Self
Subject Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
I understand where you are coming from. I worked for a city government
up until a year ago. I built our intranet using Linux on a discarded
server with apache and postgreSQL. But they didn't care about the fact
that is was free. They wanted all data to be stored on the mainframe. I
got tired of the scene and I left to join Great Bridge. We know the rest
of this story.

I'm now back in city government, although with a different city. They
are much more open to creativity here and are allowing me to develop on
Linux running postgreSQL. I'm in the process of developing a Job
Information System for our Personnel department, whom I work directly
for, that will use Apache, PostgreSQL, JSP's, and some Perl. So I'm a
happy camper now.

Put together a proposal for them. In one column, list the costs for
installing PostgreSQL on your existing Linux servers. In the other
column, list the cost of a server running Windows XP/2000 with MS SQL
server. Don't forget to include the cost of licenses for all 15 users
and. Also throw in Visual Studio .net which was just announced the other
day. I believe its around $1000 per user. Let them decide.

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 10:08, Corey W. Gibbs wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
> I have a general question about who is using Postgresql.  This is not a
> marketing survey and any information I collect will only be used by me.
>  Here's the background.
> I have a user who has developed a Visual Basic application that uses MS
> Access files for it's data storage.  Currently, this datafile is about
> fifty megs in size.  There are about fifteen users who use these files in
> the application, needless to say, this is having a severe impact on our
> network.  After much heartache and pain, I was able to convince him that we
> need to look at a RDBMS to put the data on.  Of course, I suggested
> Postgres as an alternative to MS SQL server for many reasons.  Linux runs
> on all of my servers, I'm happy with it's performance and reliability.  I'm
> currently running Postgres as my web server's backend.  Opensource software
> does not scare me.  However, his side of the camp comes from the Windows
> world.  "It has to be MS SQL server.  It'll be easier to program to than
> any other server." "Opensource software isn't going any where." "Can we
> depend on it?" are common questions and statements I have heard.
> I am not trying to start a ruckus or a flamewar, but I would like to know
> who's using Postgres out there.  What's the application?  How big are your
> databases?  Are you using Visual Basic or C to connect to it through ODBC
> or are you using a Web interface?
> Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
> thank you
> Corey W. Gibbs

Jeff Self
Information Technology Analyst