Re: Odd statistics behaviour in 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gordon A. Runkle
Subject Re: Odd statistics behaviour in 7.2
Date
Re: Odd statistics behaviour in 7.2  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 13:02, Tom Lane wrote:

[ Lots of enlightening info ]

Thanks, Tom!

Would it be fair to say that the correct workaround for now would
be to use ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS on columns of interest which have
this near-unique characteristic?

Does ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS only increase the histogram size, or
does it also cause more rows to be sampled?  If not, how would one
increase the sample size (assuming this would be desirable)?

I have quite a few tables that have columns of interest with near-unique
values, so I'm keenly interested. I'm sorry I didn't have time to do all
this testing during the beta phase, there just wasn't time.  :-(

Thanks again,

Gordon.
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."      -- Theodore
Roosevelt