Re: The " \! " and " \l " commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: The " \! " and " \l " commands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 21:11, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> You could start the psql program with SHELL=/bin/false in the environment.

I just experimented with that; it doesn't stop you doing "\! sh". Do we
need a psql equivalent of rbash (restricted Bash shell)?
You will probably have to run psql in a severely restricted chroot
environment; or tweak the code of psql to eliminate the various
loopholes (\!, \g, \o).

Perhaps instead you should look into IP-tunnelling into the PostgreSQL
server through ssh.  I think your aim should be not to run psql on the
server at all.

    "And be not conformed to this world; but be ye       transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may
provewhat is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,      will of God."             Romans 12:2