Re: postgres is slow?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: postgres is slow??
Date
List pgsql-general
Let me guess, your update script updates a significant portion of the
table right?

One of the drawbacks of PostgreSQL's MVCC architecture is that when you
update rows the old version of the row doesn't disappear.  It simply
gets marked as invalid (or expired or whatever terminology the
PostgreSQL hackers use).  Tables that have a lot of updates and deletes
invariably end up with a lot of extra cruft slowing them down.
Vacuuming the table removes these dead rows, and PostgreSQL becomes fast
once again.

In fact, in my opinion the one truly wonderful feature in the new,
soon-to-be-realeased 7.2 version of PostgreSQL is the new vacuum code
that allows you to remove some of these dead tuples without slamming an
exclusive lock on the table.  Try vacuuming the table between updates
and see if that helps.

Jason