Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Palle Girgensohn, )
 Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
   Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Neil Conway, )
    Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Abhijit Menon-Sen, )
    Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Oliver Jowett, )
     Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Neil Conway, )
     Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Oliver Jowett, )
   Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Palle Girgensohn, )
 Re: prepared statements don't log arguments?  (Simon Riggs, )

Oliver Jowett <> writes:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> OK, thats what I hoped you'd say. With a prepared query all of the
>> statements execute the same plan, so you don't need to know the exact
>> parameters.

> This isn't true in 8.0 if you are using the unnamed statement (as the
> JDBC driver does in some cases): the plan chosen depends on the
> parameter values given in the first Bind.

Also, "what plan got chosen" isn't the only question that a DBA might
want the log to answer.  "Where did my data get screwed up" is at least
as likely an application.

I'm a bit worried about the costs of converting binary-format parameters
into text form ...
        regards, tom lane