Re: Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all
Date
In response to Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Re: Seeking the correct term of art for the (unique) role that is usually called "postgres"—and the mental model that underlies it all  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:31 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> I know I am replying late here, but isn't it the database _cluster_
>> superuser?

> The "cluster" being implied doesn't seem like a big deal.  The shorter term
> is nice.  It doesn't seem worth changing all the many, many, places in the
> documentation where just "database superuser' is used - and so we've
> updated the glossary to be just that.

Yeah, I don't see that "cluster" adds anything.  It's sometimes worth
saying "database superuser" to ensure that you don't confuse people
who might think of some external-to-Postgres meaning of "superuser",
but otherwise plain "superuser" is fine.  And we've settled on
"bootstrap superuser" as the best term for the role with OID 10.
So the present set of glossary entries looks fine to me.

            regards, tom lane