Re: Re: [SQL] Re: [GENERAL] lztext and compression ratios... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [SQL] Re: [GENERAL] lztext and compression ratios...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
eisentrp@csis.gvsu.edu writes:
> Maybe you just want to use zlib. Let other guys hammer out the details.

I've been wondering about that myself.  Jan, have you actually
benchmarked decompression speed on this method vs. stock zlib?
Unless the differential is huge we might want to just skip the
patent worries.

zlib has a BSD-style license, so we could include it in our
distribution to avoid worries about whether it's installed.

I've written to Jean-loup for his advice.  He's pretty busy these
days (CTO at some startup, I believe) but we'll see if he has time
to comment.