Re: DRAFT 9.6 release -- is Final - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: DRAFT 9.6 release -- is Final
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 09/13/2016 12:05 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 09/13/2016 08:39 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> What is the thing we are calling final?
>>>
>>> This looks still in progress... not just in name
>>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/96releasedraft
>>
>> If you have additional feedback/improvements on the release text, please
>> give them ASAP.
>
> some comments:
>

> 1. I changed all the urls to https because that is what we have for a
> while now...

Thank you.

> 2. the wiki page still has this:
>
> "QUOTE ABOUT SCALING OUT ON POSTGRES HERE "
>
> is this going to be filled?

Yes, wording is currently being negotiated.

> 3. "Phrase search means that PostgreSQL continues to be an alternative
> to dedicated text search technologies for web search and data mining"
> sound rather boring and not very nice to me - it basically reads as
> "yeah we can kinda do what others can do better"

Suggested replacement wording?

> 4. is it Btree or B-tree (we seem to use the later in the docs - and
> yeah I do see it is a quote)?

Wasn't sure, thanks.  I can fix that in a quote.

> 5. 32X -> 32x?

I see 32X more frequently, but maybe we should go with "32 times" just
to be clear.

> In general the press release seems to be fairly rough to me and a bit of
> a strange mix between technical details/wording like "remote apply" and
> general marketing speak like "scale up and scale out"

That's our press releases in a nutshell.  We are, after all, a project
and not a product.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)