Re: once more: documentation search indexing - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: once more: documentation search indexing
Date
List pgsql-www
On 4/19/22 3:10 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:00 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> On 19 Apr 2022, at 15:17, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems to indicate it just hasn't picked that up yet?
>>
>> Maybe, but I'm quickly running out of tea-leaves for reading search results in.
>> My impression is that searches are turning up current docs more frequently now,
>> but I might be wrong.

The initial data posted here seems to support this[1]

> There is zero doubt that Google search results have changed utterly
> following the rel=canonical update. It hasn't yet had the effect of
> making 100% of all results from our documentation link to the
> /current/ page, but it's not too far off. That's what I see, at least.

Agreed. Perhaps some of the lesser searched keywords don't have the docs
indexed as such

> DuckDuckGo is a different matter entirely -- that still links to older
> versions (though mostly versions that are still supported). I suspect
> that we can't do much about that.

A quick search for how to solve this in DuckDuckGo yields nothing. Also,
the amount of traffic we get sourced from DuckDuckGo is pretty
insignificant so it may not be worth the effort to optimize.

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25aa516b-4fa7-5083-366e-09cf4f838e0f%40postgresql.org

Attachment