Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: replay pause vs. standby promotion
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2020/03/24 0:17, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
>> You meant that the promotion request should cause the recovery
>> to finish immediately even if there are still outstanding WAL records,
>> and cause the standby to become the master?
>
> Oh, I get your point. But yes, I expect that in case of promotion request during a pause, the user (me too) will want
tohave exactly the current state, not latest available in WALs.

Basically I'd like the promotion to make the standby replay all the WAL
even if it's requested during pause state. OTOH I understand there
are use cases where immediate promotion is useful, as you explained.
So, +1 to add something like "pg_ctl promote -m immediate".

But I'm afraid that now it's too late to add such feature into v13.
Probably it's an item for v14....

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao