Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 5/14/19 10:31 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the updated draft.
>
> On 2019/05/15 11:03, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Without further ado:
>>
>> # Feature Highlights
>>
>> 1. Indexing
>>
>> - Improvements overall performance to standard (B-tree) indexes with
>> writes as well as with bloat
>> - REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
>> - GiST indexes now support covering indexes (INCLUDE clause)
>> - SP-GiST indexes now support K-NN queries
>> - WAL overhead reduced on GiST, GIN, & SP-GiST index creation
>>
>> 2. Partitioning Improvements
>>
>> - Improved partition pruning, which improves performance on queries over
>> tables with thousands of partitions that only need to use a few partitions
>> - Improvements to COPY performance and ATTACH PARTITION
>> - Allow foreign keys to reference partitioned tables
>
> About the 1st item in "Partitioning Improvements", it's not just partition
> pruning that's gotten better.  How about writing as:
>
>  - Improved performance of processing tables with thousands of partitions
>    for operations that only need to touch a small number of partitions

Thanks, I will use some wording like this:

- Improved performance of processing tables with thousands of partitions
for operations that only need to use a small number of partitions

> Per discussion upthread, that covers improvements to both partition
> pruning and tuple routing.
>
> Also, could the title "2. Partitioning Improvements" be trimmed down to
> "2. Partitioning", to look like "1. Indexing" for consistency?

These are just my rough notes and do not reflect how it will read in the
PR itself; however I will keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment