Re: [GENERAL] Repmgr + pgbouncer - Notification of master promotionto application level ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Repmgr + pgbouncer - Notification of master promotionto application level ...
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Repmgr + pgbouncer - Notification of master promotionto application level ...
List pgsql-general

Am 15.06.2017 um 01:18 schrieb Martin Goodson:

> I'm just wondering how people may have implemented this. Do people
> setup pgbouncer nodes on the database servers themselves, on
> application servers, in the middle tier between the application and
> database, and so forth, or some combination of the three? I can think
> of some advantages or drawbacks for each. Or do people find that
> repmgr works better with other tools to handle the promotion
> notification outside the database cluster?
>
> Basically I'm new to this, and I'm wondering how folks have handled
> this issue. I'm basically looking for the community's wisdom :)

Usually we recommend to install pgbouncer on the app-servers.

If you have full control of the application you can try to integrate the
logic into the application (provide a list of servers, the new
pg10-version of libpg is working similar in this way:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=274bb2b3857cc987cfa21d14775cae9b0dababa5
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=721f7bd3cbccaf8c07cad2707826b83f84694832
)

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com