Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: multi billion row tables: possible or insane?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mar 1, 2005, at 4:34 AM, Ramon Bastiaans wrote:

> What would be important issues when setting up a database this big,
> and is it at all doable? Or would it be a insane to think about
> storing up to 5-10 billion rows in a postgres database.

Buy a bunch of disks.
And then go out and buy more disks.
When you are done with that - go buy some more disks.
Then buy some ram.
Then buy more disks.

You want the fastest IO possible.

I'd also recommend the opteron route since you can also put heaping
gobules of ram in there as well.

> The database's performance is important. There would be no use in
> storing the data if a query will take ages. Query's should be quite
> fast if possible.

And make sure you tune your queries.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>