Re: Best practices: Handling Daylight-saving time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Együd Csaba (Freemail)
Subject Re: Best practices: Handling Daylight-saving time
Date
List pgsql-general
After a few days of working on the problem I can state that - IMHO - this is
the best way:

Using UTC (or any other timezone) with NO DST (this is the most important)
is the only reliable way to store continous data.
On the client we can convert the server time easily to local time. Even if
the server uses a different timezone to UTC/GMT. The client can take into
account the result of (select extract('timezone' from CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))
and correct the local time with that. The opposite direction (converting
local time to server time) is as simple as the other.
Just a small problem is to take into account the DSTBias. This means that
you have to increment (or decrement) the amount of hours to add by the
DSTBias. Thats all.

Thank you very much all of you to open my eyes!

Best Regrds,
-- Csaba