autofreeze/vacuuming - avoiding the random performance hit - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Graeme B. Bell
Subject autofreeze/vacuuming - avoiding the random performance hit
Date
List pgsql-performance
Some of you may have had annoying problems in the past with autofreeze or autovacuum running at unexpected moments and
droppingthe performance of your server randomly.

On our SSD-RAID10 based system we found a 20GB table finished it's vacuum freeze in about 100 seconds. There were no
noticeableinterruptions to our services; maybe a tiny little bit of extra latency on the web maps, very hard to tell if
itwas real or imagination.

If auto-stuff in postgresql has been a pain point for you in the past, I can confirm that SSD drives are a nice
solution(and also for any other autovacuum/analyze type stuff) since they can handle incoming random IO very nicely
whilealso making very fast progress with the housekeeping work.

Graeme Bell