Re: [pgsql-www] Why not fork PHP.NET - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Why not fork PHP.NET
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 26, 2004, at 11:11 PM, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> I feel that new-comers to PostgreSQL have a hard time finding the
> right tools,
> installing and starting PostgreSQL, connecting locally, etc...
>
> We probably never hear from these users, as they never reach the first
> connection. In a way, PostgreSQL is targetted at an "elite of hackers".

Hello,
It could be true. Perhaps a beginner's guide will do the trick.

> A bundle including PHP, PostgreSQL, PhpPgAdmin and pgAdmin III
> could reach (at least) 100.000 download every month on:
>
> - PostgreSQL mirrors,
> - PHP mirrors,
> - Shareware and freeware sites,
> - Community sites.
>
> A real flow of people... How are we going to receive them?

Not sure if that would really gain consensus. Many PostgreSQL users are
not into PHP.
I am a volunteer at PHP.net and as far as I see they do not offer a
bundle.

Then you might get perl users complaining for example. Of course I see
that other companies
are already  offering such a bundle, NuSphere does
http://www.nusphere.com/products/index.htm

> My preffered answer would be to use the same techniques that proved to
> be
> successful. No need to find complicated solutions:
>
> PHP.NET web site proved successful,
> let us fork PHP.NET web site

Umh, the php.net code is available on each page via the "source" link.
That said I am not sure that a clone/fork will be a good start.
We can make the site better with other components without having to
fork anything IMHO

> But, do we really want to become the Apache of the database world?
> (don't flame me if you think I am becoming mad... I don't think I am.)

Not sure but my personal aim is to make the php community aware of the
fact that PostgreSQL is way better then MySQL and other solutions out
there.

> If you would like to answer, maybe try posting to
> pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org (no cross-posts).

Regards,
David Costa, PostgreSQL Advocate http://dotgeek.org
david at postgresql ddoot org gurugeek att php dot net
$dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';