Re: Memory and/or cache issues? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From mcelroy, tim
Subject Re: Memory and/or cache issues?
Date
List pgsql-performance

Thank you again to all who have offered advice, suggestions, tips and offers of support/training.  From the gist of some of the latter posts I must come off as a rank rookie, lol.  Deservedly so as I've only been working with postgres for 7 months and in the linux/unix world a year or so.  My background is Stratus SysAdmin (which I still do in addition to DBA) so the transition is an on-going process.

That said, at this time I'll put the thread to rest as my company just doubled the memory to 16GB, isn't that how it always works out anyway ;)  I'll also be moving the new postgresql.conf settings that were worked out with the patient help of Jim Nasby, thanks again Jim.  The DEV box I put those on has shown some improvement.  As far as outside support and training, thank you but no.  Probably doesn't show but I did attend a week long PostgreSQL boot camp in January (which I found aimed more to the development side than DBA by the way), but there is no better way to learn and understand better than actual day-to-day working experience.

Thank you,
Tim McElroy

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Jim C. Nasby [mailto:jnasby@pervasive.com]
Sent:   Friday, May 05, 2006 8:35 PM
To:     mcelroy, tim
Cc:     'Michael Stone'; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject:        Re: [PERFORM] Memory and/or cache issues?

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:27:10AM -0400, mcelroy, tim wrote:
> Sorry, been up all night and maybe provided too much information or not the

Do you have any budget for support or training, either from the company
selling you the app or a company that provides PostgreSQL support? I
suspect some money invested there would result in a lot less
frustration. It'd also certainly be cheaper than switching to Oracle.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117