[HACKERS] [RFC] Should "SHOW huge_pages" display the effective value "off"when the huge page is unavailable? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject [HACKERS] [RFC] Should "SHOW huge_pages" display the effective value "off"when the huge page is unavailable?
Date
Responses Re: [HACKERS] [RFC] Should "SHOW huge_pages" display the effectivevalue "off" when the huge page is unavailable?  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello, all

Could you give me your opinions on whether the SHOW command should display the effective value or the specified value
forhuge_pages?  During the review of "Supporting huge_pages on Windows", which is now shifted to CommitFest 2017-3,
Magnusgave me a comment that the huge_page variable should retain the value "try" when the huge page is not available
onthe machine and the server falls back to huge_page=off.  The Linux version does so.

I don't have a strong opinion on that, but I think a bit that it would be better to reflect the effective setting, i.e.
SHOWdisplays huge_pages as off, not try.  Otherwise, the user cannot know whether the huge page setting is effective.

One parameter that behaves similarly is wal_buffers.  When wal_buffers is set to -1 (default), "SHOW wal_buffers"
displaysthe actual size, not -1.  But I didn't find any other parameters like this.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa