Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Joshua D. Drake
> On 03/07/2016 11:31 AM, MauMau wrote:
>
> > Why don't we enrich the catalog?  I'd like to hear ideas on how to
> > enrich the catalog efficiently.  It's ideal for software vendors and
> > users to voluntarily add to the catalog.
>
> I think the product/software directory has vastly outlived its purpose.
> We are not longer a, "I wonder if Pg works with X". It is more, "Why doesn't
> X work with Pg" nowadays.

Yes, I want to take that attitude and encourage software vendors and OSS projects to support PostgreSQL.  But in
reality,the questions I hear are "Does PG work with X?"  Any ideas to convince software vendors to support PostgreSQL?

> I could see a page that discusses various tools in general that are supported
> but by no means do we need a "list" anymore.

Could you share your image by taking a good example page of some successful commercial or open source products?  I'd
liketo understand the ideal level of information on the ecosystem page.

Anyway, I think some form of web pages are necessary where people who are considering to migrate from other databases
canjudge whether they can use their existing software assets, and new database users can choose PostgreSQL with relief.
For example, relatively new and successful companies like MongoDB and Cloudera have the pages for ecosystem.
Cloudera'swebsite is nice because it has the "Partners" link on the home page.

MongoDB Enterprise Certification Program
https://www.mongodb.com/partners/partner-program/technology/certification

Cloudera: Partners
http://www.cloudera.com/partners.html

It needs discussion whether the items on the page should be individual products or just companies/OSS-organizations.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa