Re: App very unresponsive while performing simple update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Brendan Duddridge
Subject Re: App very unresponsive while performing simple update
Date
List pgsql-performance
>> You should realize this will produce a lot of garbage records and
>> mean you'll
>> have to be running vacuum very frequently. You might consider
>> instead of
>> updating the main table inserting into a separate clickstream
>> table. That
>> trades off not getting instantaneous live totals with isolating the
>> maintenance headache in a single place. That table will grow large
>> but you can
>> prune it at your leisure without impacting query performance on
>> your main
>> tables.

We actually already have a table for this purpose. product_click_history

> Actually, you can still get instant results, you just have to hit two
> tables to do it.

Well, not really for our situation. We use the click_count on product
to sort our product listings by popularity. Joining with our
product_click_history to get live counts would be very slow. Some
categories have many tens of thousands of products. Any joins outside
our category_product table tend to be very slow.

We'll probably have to write a process to update the click_count from
querying our product_click_history table.

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9