Re: Slow Postgresql server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Guido Neitzer
Subject Re: Slow Postgresql server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12.04.2007, at 08:59, Ron wrote:

> 1= Unless I missed something, the OP described pg being used as a
> backend DB for a webserver.

Yep.

> I know the typical IO demands of that scenario better than I
> sometimes want to.
> :-(

Yep. Same here. ;-)

> 2= 1GB of RAM + effectively 1 160GB HD = p*ss poor DB IO support.

Absolutely right. Depending a little bit on the DB and WebSite layout
and on the actual requirements, but yes - it's not really a kick-ass
machine ...

> Completely agree that at some point the queries need to be examined
> (ditto the table schema, etc), but this system is starting off in a
> Bad Place for its stated purpose IME.
> Some minimum stuff is obvious even w/o spending time looking at
> anything beyond the HW config.

Depends. As I said - if the whole DB fits into the remaining space,
and a lot of website backend DBs do, it might just work out. But this
seems not to be the case - either the site is chewing on seq scans
all the time which will cause I/O or it is bound by the lack of
memory and swaps the whole time ... He has to find out.

cug