Re: startup time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Parker
Subject Re: startup time
Date
List pgsql-general
>> The problem we are having is that in a customer installation, the
>> startup on the database is taking significantly longer than we have
>> ever seen it take before.
>
>Are we talking seconds, minutes, hours, days?

It's in the seconds range, I think, probably not more than a minute, but
I don't have access to specific times from the installation. The root
problem is that our script is not flexible enough, so that needs to
change - I just wanted to get an idea of what "normal" startup times I
should expect.

>> But what I'm curious about is what set of things have to happen
>> between startup and the server being ready to accept requests. This
>> happens on a fresh install, so I don't *think* it should be
>recovery processing.
>
>If it's not doing recovery then the Postgres time proper
>should be no more than a second or so, in my experience.  Look
>for outside-the-database factors.  One possibility is a broken
>DNS configuration leading to long delays in trying to resolve
>socket addresses and such.  I've never seen such a problem
>causing a delay over a minute though ....

Thanks, I'll look into the DNS angle - that certainly seems like a
possibility.

Thanks, again.

- DAP