Re: URGENT!!! changing Column size - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From SZUCS Gábor
Subject Re: URGENT!!! changing Column size
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have a php script that patches database, comparing pg_catalog's tables to
input files. One thing it can do, but I can't take responsibility ;) is
changing the type of a column.

It's basically the same that everyone wrote, except that I also examine
dependencies, as broad an examination as I could think about.

However; the code is not yet ready, and not my exclusive possession, but the
steps I could tell you are:

1. Note oid:  SELECT oid, relname from pg_class WHERE relname='institution'

2. Identify the attribute:  SELECT * from pg_attribute WHERE attrelid = xxx AND ...

3. Search for depends:  SELECT d.*  FROM pg_depend d, pg_attribute a  WHERE refobjid=a.attrelid and
refobjsubid=a.attnum   AND ...  -- you are on your own here ;)

4. Drop those dependencies (more likely, foreign keys, constraints, indexes)

5. Do the change

6. Apply dependencies.

HTH,

G.