Re: Fast Search on Encrypted Feild - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Naoko Reeves
Subject Re: Fast Search on Encrypted Feild
Date
List pgsql-general
Merlin,
Thank you for your quick response. I see... our security requirements are:
We are encrypting PII information within our DB and because of the sensitive nature of our data, we must balancing both
performanceand security to meet our client requirements.
Our clients are mainly lawyers and handles clients case (government, healthcare, education).
If you could provide me any advice that would be great otherwise I understand that I have to go without wildcard
search.

Naoko

> Would this be the solution for the fast encrypted field search or does this
> raise the security issue?

You are storing the unencrypted phone number in the index...can't do
that.   As I see it, any solution that needs to support 'LIKE' (or
anything other than equality case) is going to be problematic because
it has to expose details of the encrypted data to work.  It may be
possible to rig something...how high are your security requirements?

merlin