Re: Moving Database Cluster to another drive - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jan Lentfer
Subject Re: Moving Database Cluster to another drive
Date
List pgsql-novice
Well, it points to page in a data file, so copying the data files does not do any harm (when Postgres is NOT running,
otherwise- disaster). We are talking about files on a filesystem here, not raw devices as e.g. Informix uses (can use).

You might find this helpful in general, especiall around ppage 50.

https://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/internalpics.pdf

Jan

Von meinem iPad gesendet

> Am 18.05.2015 um 18:28 schrieb Daniel Begin <jfd553@hotmail.com>:
>
> Thank Luca,
>
> You wrote that "each index has a pointer to the block on disk that contains the tuple". If there is no mechanism that
insurethe tuples have the same location on the new drive (the block address), I should then expect a plane copy will
corruptsome/all the indexes, am I right (linked to the second question)?

> Best regards,
> Daniel

blockon disk that contain the tuple. And indexes are, of course, on disk stuff.