RE: pg12 - partition by column that might have null values - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mike Sofen
Subject RE: pg12 - partition by column that might have null values
Date
List pgsql-performance

From: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 12:37 AM
Whenever I have a new revision of that object, I update the end_time of the latest revision to be now() and I add a new record of that object with end_date null.

The null value is used to find most recent revisions of objects..

Thanks for the suggestion of infinity ! I'll try it.

My partitioning table design model always uses a partitioning column that is 100% static since that guarantees that rows are not constantly moving between partitions (with index update overhead etc).  In this scenario I’d use a “StartTime” column to anchor the row in a partition.  The relatively few rows with a null EndTime don’t need the power of partitioning, just an index to find them.

Mike Sofen