Can we run pg_basebackup master is still working normally (selects,updates, deleted, etc) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Heath
Subject Can we run pg_basebackup master is still working normally (selects,updates, deleted, etc)
Date
List pgsql-general
We have master/standby servers running postgresql 9.6.5 on Debian 8.0
(Wheezy) 64 bit and we want to add a 3rd machine, streaming from the
master but running off-site.

The system is used 24/7. Can we run pg_basebackup while the master is
still receiving updates without worrying about physical file corruptions
in the generated archive file?

  The documentation states that v9.6 supports running concurrent
backups. Can the users operate as normal, ie issue
inserts/deletes/updates, while the file copy is occurring? We can pick a
time when the system is quieter but there is always something/someone
updating the system.