Re: how to avoid repeating expensive computation in select - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: how to avoid repeating expensive computation in select
Date
List pgsql-general
Is using a pl/pgsql function a viable option.  Within or without the use of
a function you can create a temporary table to hold the needed intermediate
results.  You can even use a permanent working table and write functions to
perform the needed queries against it.

Especially for expensive calculation you want to consider whether it is
safe/reasonable to pre-calculate and store values instead of running the
calculation during each query.

If you need procedural language capabilities (variables, multiple uses of
the same data) trying to work out a solution in pure transactional SQL can
be difficult or outright impossible; you really need to use the procedural
facilities built into the server OR your application environment.  In other
words put down the hammer and go find yourself a chainsaw :)

David J