Re: psql and Emacs on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Bartlett
Subject Re: psql and Emacs on Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, August 07, 2009 12:44 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 17:36 +0100, Sam Mason wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:11:10AM -0500, Wenjian Yang wrote:
> > > We currently installed emacs 23.1 and PostgreSQL 8.4.0 for Windows on a
> > > windows desktop. When issue "sql-postgres" in emacs, after providing
> > > User/Password/Database/Server, nothing happens. There is no prompt from
> > > emacs. Checking the server log, it doesn't seem to have received any
> > > connection request.
> >
> > The current setup on my windows box uses the psql that comes with
> > cygwin.  Unfortunately I don't use it enough to remember the details of
> > how or why I settled on this setup.
>
> readline?

Yes, the problem is readline.  When running the "native" psql.exe from inside
any sort of a "shell" program on Windows (such as from inside emacs, rxvt,
remote SSH command line, etc.), psql thinks it is running in batch mode so you
see no prompts.  It is indeed running, but you'll see no interactive
information.