oldest WAL files not removed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject oldest WAL files not removed
Date
Re: oldest WAL files not removed  (Ninad Shah <nshah.postgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

Looking at WAL folder after a crash, I noticed that new files after restarting overwrite the more recent files before the crash and not the oldest, which was what I expected.

Is that normal ?  I got only one file marked .deleted. Does that happens when a WAL file hase been completed updated in the database and if then while all oldest files aren’t marked .deleted after restarting ?

Example :

Crash occurs Aug 31 22:03 which is the more recent Wal file, the oldest file is Aug 30 17:20 (and 105 files between those two)

After restarting Aug 30 17:20 is still there, Aug 31 22:03 disappeared, one new file is Sep 1 12:15 marked .deleted (restarting date) and one new Sep 1 12:36 which I guess is normal. Right now, I see an new wal file and the previous one marked .deleted which is ok.

Why are the oldest wal files still there ?? Can I remove them ?

Hope I’m clear enough and thanks for explanations,

Olivier