Re: Foreign Key Deadlocking - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Foreign Key Deadlocking
Date
Re: Foreign Key Deadlocking
List pgsql-performance
Hi Csaba,

I have a similar problem.

In an attempt to avoid the overhead of select count(*) from mailbox
where uid = somuid I've implemented triggers on insert and delete.

So there is a

user table which refers to to an inbox table,

so when people insert into the inbox there is an RI trigger grabbing
the shared lock, then the count triggers try to grab an exclusive
lock resulting in a deadlock.

Can we safely remove the shared locks ?

Is there a right way to implement the count triggers. I've tried
before triggers, and after triggers, both result in different kinds
of deadlocks.

Dave