From Elliot Chance
Subject Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au
Date
Re: Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: Fwd: [pgsql-www] Forums at postgresql.com.au  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
On 21/11/2010, at 2:59 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 14:46, Elliot Chance <elliotchance@gmail.com> wrote:
copy.When the mailing list gets its copy it sends a copy to the forum (because the forum is just like a subscribed
user),the parser then dissects the headers to find out where the post belongs. We already know this part works.

>>> I can't explain it any clearer, your email response goes to the mailing list and that mailing list sends a copy to
theoriginal person thats how a mailing list works. It also sends a copy to the forum which is parses you and that
personand anyone else can see the reply on the forum.

>> Clearly you're not understanding my point. I don't *want* it to go to
>> the list. I want to write a private email to the user who made a post
>> from the forum, without having to set up and use a forum account. Just
>> a simple response, just the way I can do now.
>>
>> But I'll leave it to somebody else to attempt to explain that, since I
>> clearly am unable to get it across.
>
> I would argue that if the person wants to use a forum, aren't they
> saying they don't want to be contacted via email.  I think we just throw
> it only to the forum (that is the user) and leave it that.  Forum users
> don't get the _rich_ email experience.  ;-)

It does surprise me a bit that when I (or someone else) signs up to a mailing list (not postgres specifically) that
thereis no fine print or agreement that says something along the lines of "Your email address will be plastered all
overthe internet, guaranteed to be picked up by spiders, make sure you have a good anti-spam."

This doesn't so much bother me because the address I use on the mailing list is public and already on googles index but
Ibet some people don't like it, and once they realise its too late you can't remove emails from a mailing list. Forums
aredesigned to act as the barrier that stops anyone from getting your address if you so choose.

-----

Now to elaborate on private messages.
1. I'm not going to use the persons real email without their permission regardless of if the safe-guards of a mailing
listcan be subverted.
2. It's no problem to put a line at the top of the email saying something like (I understand what you mean now Tom):
"Replying to this email will be PUBLIC. If you would like to send a private response to "chancey" send your response to
df62ace4@postgresql.com.au."
The "df62ace4@postgresql.com.au" is a cached salted hash that stops anyone from guessing everyones username, and
perhapsexpires after 30 days or something. After which they can goto the persons profile page and send the message from
theirif they are desperate for a private reply.
3. That private message line will be stripped out before replies are shown on the forum since its not relevant
informationto the forum.
4. The "df62ace4@postgresql.com.au" also does not go directly to the person but passes the message through the private
messagesystem in the forum (which of course still notifies them.) This is what forum users would expect.

In particular but in my time as a developer one thing i've learnt is you not only have to make systems ultra idiot
proofbut also move all the important bits our of reach of that user. If we incorporated mailing list subscriptions with
postingit will absolutely cause more problems that the benefits it brings, even if it sounds fine in *theory*.