Re: reduce number of multiple values to be inserted - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: reduce number of multiple values to be inserted
Date
List pgsql-general

> On May 29, 2018, at 6:10 PM, tango ward <tangoward15@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I am working on inserting multiple values for a table. I need to insert 3 values of data for each age of the students
fromthe same village. It will be 3 different ages of student per village.

> My sample code:
>

> curr_pgsql.execute('''
>                    INSERT INTO student (created, modified, name,
>                                                     address, age, level
>                                                     )
>                    VALUES (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Scott', 'Malayan Village', 21, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Ben', 'Malayan Village', 21, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Scott', 'Malayan Village', 21, 2),
>
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Andrew', 'Malayan Village', 25, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Larry', 'Malayan Village', 25, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Adam', 'Malayan Village', 25, 2),
>
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Elisse', 'Malayan Village', 27, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Xena', 'Malayan Village', 27, 2),
>                           (current_timezone, current_timezone,
>                            'Karen', 'Malayan Village', 27, 2)
>
> I will repeat the same process for 13 villages so that will be 117 of values. I would like to know if there's a way
toreduce the script? This has to be done strictly via script.

> Thanks,

Is “current_timezone, current_timezone” just a typo?  I think you need to make the 117 data lines and load using \copy