Windows to Linux PostgreSQL Migration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Windows to Linux PostgreSQL Migration
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I have just done a multi-part migration and am having difficulty viewing binary content stored in a “bytea” field; specifically I stored a PDF in the existing setup and now receive a “File does not begin with ‘%PDF-‘” message when I go to pull it up from the new setup.

The specific migration is as follows:

Existing:  Windows 2000 (32bit); PostgreSQL 8.2

New: Ubuntu 10.10 (64bit); PostgreSQL 9.0

To migrate the data I did the following:

Pg_dump (v 8.3) from the existing Windows (32) Machine into a dump file on an NTFS file system.

Pg_restore (v 9.0) from a different Windows (64) machine from the dump file into the running Linux (64) server.

Using the same application software and JRE (Tomcat container) I attempted to view the files as normal (using Firefox on a Windows Machine) and the “File does not begin with ‘%PDF-‘” message appears.

I can think of some possible variations and causes for this but figured before I go running for the cliff I’d see if anyone can at least point me in the right direction.

Thank You

David Johnston