Re: Multiple result sets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Rich
Subject Re: Multiple result sets
Date
List pgsql-general
> > I am not familiar with the python library, but that looks correct
> > to me. You can always test it by adding a sleep between your two
> > queries and modifying the database from a console connection
> > during the sleep.
>
> > Note that I'm assuming your 5 queries are all read-only selects.
> > If you're modifying data during your queries, and another
> > concurrent database connection modifies the same data during your
> > transaction, the later modifications will fail under serializable
> > isolation.
>
> Which one will fail? the second query or the serializable
> transaction.
>
> My understanding was that the serializable transaction will fail.

Yes, serializable transactions fail if they attempt to modify data
which has changed since the beginning of the transaction.  If the
OP's ajax call kicks off 5 queries in a serializable transaction,
there is the potential for failure if two ajax calls initiate
simultaneous serializable  transactions modifying data.