Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
Date
In response to Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re:[Sender Address Forgery]Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning  (Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thank you Horiguchi-san!

On 2018/01/19 12:00, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> At Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:41:00 -0800, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Hi Amit,
>>
>> It seems your mail system continually adds "[Sender Address Forgery]"
>> prefixes to messages. E.g. this mail now has
>> Subject: Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [HACKERS] path
towardfaster partition pruning

>> as its subject, whereas the mail you're replying to only had
>> Subject: Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [Sender Address Forgery]Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
>> two of them.
>>
>> I think the two previous occurances of this also are from you.
>>
>> This is somewhat annoying, could you try to figure out a) what the
>> problem is b) how to prevent the subject being edited like that?

Sorry about that.  I had noticed it and had manually edited the subject
line once or twice before, but failed to do it every time.

> Our mail server is failing to fetch SPF record for David's mails
> that received directly (not via -hakders ML) and the server adds
> the subject header.  It is failing to fetch SPF record for
> 2ndquadrant.com. The reason might be that the envelope-from of
> his mails is not consistent with his server's IP address.

I was able to notice that too.  It seems that the Received-SPF: PermError
and X-SPF-Status = fail/warn headers started appearing in the emails only
a few months ago, so it appears our mail server was changed to notice
these discrepancies only recently.  First email in this thread that got
such subject line was the following, which is my reply to David's email:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/b8094e71-2c73-ed8e-d8c3-53f232c8c049%40lab.ntt.co.jp

There are emails from David before that one and I couldn't see such
headers in all those emails, so no alterations of the subject line.

> Anyway, mails via -hackers ML doesn't suffer so, what Amit (and
> I) side can do by myself is one of the following.
>
> - Being careful to reply to the mails comming via the ML.
> - Remove the added header by hand..

Yeah, will make sure to do that.

> And I'd like to ask David to check out his mail environment so
> that SPF record is available for his message.

That'd be nice too.

Thanks,
Amit