Re: Description of transaction model for indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Description of transaction model for indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 4, 2009, at 3:09 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

> Hello!
>
> The transaction model is discussed in several areas:
> http://www.packtpub.com/article/transaction-model-of-postgresql
> The POSTGRES Data Model (1987)
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.48.8578
> The Design of POSTGRES (1986)
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.48.1422
>
> However: Is there a paper available, how indexes are handled inside
> the transaction (e.g. visibility (not handled), concurrency, etc.)?
> E.g. What happens on SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE?
>
> Some aspects can be found in:
> http://www.pgcon.org/2008/schedule/attachments/54_PGCon2008-HOT.ppt

I don't know about a paper anywhere but index tuples contain pointers
to the data tuples that are followed to determine transactional
visibility.  All HOT does for this is means there may be more than one
pointer to follow in the event of a HOT updated tuple.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability
866.518.9273 x 260