Re: Need improved support for connection timeouts - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Need improved support for connection timeouts
Date
List pgadmin-support

PostgreSQL does not have automatic client logout/disconnects - if you
are getting disconnected from your database then I would suggest looking
for other possible network problems.

> Specifically,
> pgadmin hangs the next time you request a view or enter a
> query, and then you have to right-click the server's name and
> disconnect then reconnect.  When you right-click to
> disconnect, it again attempts to connect to the server and
> times out and tells you about it.  Only then you can finally
> do the disconnect and reconnect and by then you've already
> forgotten what you were trying to do.

Hmm, it does sound like the disconnection is not being recognised
immediately - I will look at that.

> I think that this issue NEEDS to be fixed, and should be made
> one of the top-priority issues on the todo list at
> http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/development.php

I don't think it quite rates as top-priority - you are the only person
to report this problem and have either a non-standard version of
PostgreSQL, or other network problems causing your disconnects.

Regards, Dave.