Re: MS-Access link - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: MS-Access link
Date
List pgadmin-support

-----Original Message-----
From: Ermanno PREDONZAN [mailto:ermanno.predonzan@ezit.ts.it]
Sent: 19 May 2003 08:18
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] MS-Access link

Dear Dave,

Sorry to disturb You but perhaps You can help me.

After installing pgAdminII I made a link to a PostgreSql table.

The PostgreSQL Database reside on a Linux Box (file server with RedHat 8.0) and I have three

Window 2000 clients with MS Access.

Inside MS Access I made a link to an external PostgreSql table and I tried to load the data;

well it works properly ONLY on two Window 2000 clients, the third one is very SLOW and I can only see the structure of the linked table.

Hi Ermanno,

This isn't really a pgAdmin question, but it sounds like the slow machine probably has ODBC Tracing turned on. Check in the ODBC Driver Manager in the Control Panel.

Perhaps inside PostgreSQL database is it  possible to make a link to an external MS-Access table (as in Access) and use it as it was a pure PostgreSQL table?

No, this is not possible.

I understand that pgAdminII is a Visual Basic application, how can I learn it and read documentation to make my own ODBC (Paradox)?

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. If you want to port pgAdmin to work with Paradox, then you would probably need to rewrite most of it - pgAdmin is *very* centered on PostgreSQL.

Regards, Dave