Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
List pgsql-hackers

If we rely on people that dislike RULEs to provide examples of where RULEs
necessary then through simple ignorance we are likely to deduce that RULEs
are of no practical use.  People who use rules because there are no viable
alternatives need to elaborate on the how and why RULEs are used so that the
ignorant can become educated and maybe even provide current or future
alternatives to using RULEs.

It does seem that considerable documentation work needs to be done
regardless of whether a final decision to deprecate is made.  Furthermore,
the results of that documentation process will provide valuable insight
toward that decision.  This thread should probably end and a new one
discussing the design and content of said documentation should probably be
started.  As I do not have a concrete idea of how that process would look
with respect to this community I'll leave the initial posting to someone
with more intimate knowledge of the community dynamics.

David J.