Re: Making pgxs builds work with a relocated installation - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Making pgxs builds work with a relocated installation
Date
List pgsql-patches
-----Original Message-----
From: "Tom Lane"<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: 01/10/05 16:28:18
To: "Bruce Momjian"<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
Cc: "Dave Page"<dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>, "Peter Eisentraut"<peter_e@gmx.net>,
"PostgreSQL-patches"<pgsql-patches@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Making pgxs builds work with a relocated installation

>  I haven't tried this to see if it'd work or not ...
> any comments?  Would single or double quotes be most desirable?

Unfortunately quoting either way didn't work  on Windows/msys when Thomas & I were looking at this.

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
[ correcting the completely offtopic Subject ]

> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews
> and approves it.

Before going down that path, I wanted to review the makefiles and see
whether quoting all occurrences of the path variables would be a
workable thing or not.  That would be more desirable, if it's not a
maintenance nightmare, because it'd solve the problem everywhere instead
of only for Windows --- and there is a real risk on, say, Darwin.

One idea that comes to mind is to just quote the variables at point of
creation --- that is, write something like

    override pkglibdir := "$(pkglibdir)"

in Makefile.global.  I haven't tried this to see if it'd work or not ...
any comments?  Would single or double quotes be most desirable?

            regards, tom lane