Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Selena Deckelmann
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Jul 9, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> Not sure how much work it is to make an installer ...
>
> Building the installer isn't that much work, so it's important not
> to think of what's involved as being just that.  It's keeping all
> the VMs for every supported Windows platform going, then testing the
> resulting product to make sure it still works on all of them after
> each packaging, that takes up most of the time every time I do one
> of these.  Much harder to get the whole process automated on Windows
> too.

One option I have pursued is getting a developer network license from
Microsoft donated to PostgreSQL. The idea is that a Windows dev would
get access to all versions of windows and all updates going forward.
Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out yet.

I pursued this more for core development, rather than installers, but
I can see that it would be useful for both. I will pursue this more
vigorously when I get back to the US.

I agree with Greg that the effort required to do this installer work
should not be underestimated.

Also do not underestimate the importance of simply *having* a windows
version which is released on the same day as a new version of the
source code. That is a huge marketing benefit for Postgresql itself.

Those that voted in favor of a change, please consider who might make
the effort of creating another installer, and how you can support that
person or group. Discussion of this in terms of tasks, specific people
and resources is welcome.

Losing out on an up-to-date windows installer is an important concern.
In the developing world, windows *is* the dominant server *and* client
platform. While that may change over the next decade, we need to keep
these (huge) emerging database markets in mind when discussing what
services we support and provide as a community.

 From a purely competitive stand point, we must continue to offer up-
to-date and easy to use windows installers so that we are not
overlooked simply because our "window dressing" is missing or bad.

I am glad this discussion is happening. Please everyone understand
that Dave Page has contributed so much to Postgres over many years.
Simon of course knows this, and has also made many important
contributions.

I am happy that we can have difficult conversations like this with
each other without devolving into personal attacks.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily
http://enpoint.com