Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Banners on postgresql.org not running on pgsql?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
>> Why?  Personally, I think it falls under 'the right tool for the
>> job' ... there are two things I use MySQL for: phpAdsNew and
>> Spamassassin/Bayes DB ... neither of which I care if there is data
>> lost for, and for which using Berkeley DB would work just as well,
>> if I cared to learn its API ...
>
> Well, problem #1 is that you never discussed this on pgsql-www that I
> can find in the archives.  It's quite possible that the other WWW
> team members would not share your evaluation, and would have decided
> to take another course. This looks like a case of you making a
> unilateral decision which other members of the team could (will?) be
> required to do damage control on.
>
> BTW, the reason Spamassassin requires MySQL is that it's badly
> designed -- on my server we couldn't even use MySQL, we were running
> it in RAM because of the I/O intensive design.  If you switched to
> dspam, you could use Postgres properly.

I also believe that SpamAssassin 3.1.1 has a PostgreSQL friendly bayes
storage algorithm.

I'm likely to try it on mine here shortly.

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893